Every time we approach holiday season I find myself drifting off into the vortex that is Pinterest. Because Pinterest holiday candy looks amazing doesn’t it? You can fill your page with unending clever sweet treats that would have Willy Wonker on the edge of his seat. From chocolate reindeers to Easter bunny carrots, it’s all there, grinning back and waiting to be made. Except nope. As tempting as a glistening Halloween bloody brain cake may look, here’s 10 Reasons Why I Will Be BUYING ALL The Halloween Candy this year and forever more *dare I say.
1) These days, most candy is pretty much as cheap as chips. Add the word ‘Halloween’ to candy and yes, the last time I looked it was still pennies. Meaning, a stock of mini packets of sweets and what-not to feed the street will set you back your lunch money for a few days. Enough said.
2) Ingredients to recreate Pinterest treats? A year’s wages. At least.
3) For the last couple of years I went all Halloween health freak (yup… can’t talk me. Double standards as I chomp a doughnut as we speak). For some reason I thought parents would love it. On knocking on our door, ghosts and witches (our neighbourhood children) would receive shiny red or green apples. Most shouted boo! Then polite no thank yous to the offending fruit. So that went down well.
4) A parent actually booed me for giving out fruit. “Where’s the sweets she smiled, peeking out from her sexy hot-mama Devils costume. Errrmmm… nope.
5) It would take me a couple of minutes to throw a heap of Halloween candy into the trolley *coughs, online basket. #Win
6) A week of trying to perfect something edible and Halloween like home baking styley. #Lose
7) Effort to pick up Halloween candy? Probably zero. Meaning loads more headspace and time for everything else.
8) Effort to MAKE Halloween candy? All the resources, and more. No room in brain for anything other than ‘what’s a pastry crimper and how will it help me to make goodies’.
9) If by some miracle (crosses fingers – but pretend you didn’t see that) no one comes treat or treating this year, we can enjoy all the Halloween candy on a Saturday night with our feet up watching Strictly Dancing. Any homemade Halloween candy will be enjoyed by the squirrels (perhaps?).
10) Because every trick or treater wants to be greeted by these.
*Obviously Little Button will be able to make lots of homemade treats for fun which will be tasted at our own peril. In the meantime I’m happy to share, just over on Instagram rather than in person.