One of the things that I LOVE about blogging is that it crosses oceans without end. This lovely lady, and our very newest #DreamTeam guest host comes all the way from the States. I’m honored to call her a friend. I first came across Heather on the #DreamTeam and fell hook, line and sinker for her hilarious humor that that left not just me, but everyone in stitches of laughter each week. She brings much needed light and laughter to the blogosphere.
Inspire Me Shank You Very Much
Quick fire questions are so much fun but can also tell us so much about how someone thinks. Let’s see how Heather got on.
(Hahahahaha, I’m long-winded so these answers will not be quick. But they will be witty!)
- Tea or Coffee? Coffee, but only the cold version. Hot coffee makes me question humanity.
- Cake or Biscuits? I can’t actually make this decision! I want to say cake, but then the cookies (biscuits) might turn against me.
- Cats or Dogs? Dogs. English Bulldogs to be exact. Cats frighten me, though I owned a few growing up. I can’t seem to fall asleep knowing a cat is prowling around the house.
- Lefty or Righty? Righty. Funny story though, I can write very well with my left hand thanks to a set of broken knuckles when I was in college. I can also write backwards (left to right and all letters opposite the norm) with my right hand as effortlessly as I can write forwards.
- Early bird or Night owl? Night owl. Mornings are for infants and birds.
- Facebook or Twitter? Twitter. Facebook has cluttered up their app with sponsored posts and click bait articles. I have no idea what my actual friends are up to anymore.
- Blogger, Vlogger or both? Blogger. I’ve been told to start a vlog but I spend an inordinate amount of time in my pajamas and I would have to stop that if I went on camera.
- Beach Hut or Log Cabin? Can I say neither? I was raised in Hawai’i so I spent a lot of time at the beach already and sand is not really my friend. Plus Jaws wants to eat me. As for the cabin in the woods, I’m quite sure every horror film can explain why that is never a good idea. I prefer an RV because it’s a house that you can travel in.
- Unicorns of Mermaids? Unicorns!!! I love them so much that I featured a unicorn design in my store! Funnily enough, I don’t own a single item in my house with a unicorn. I guess I’m a closet unicorn lover.
I feel exactly the same way about biscuits and cakes Heather. It’s impossible to choose!
1. How long have you been blogging for and what inspired you to give it a go?
I’ve been blogging for over 4 years now. I gave it a go while I was running a home daycare – I had three babies under 2 years old and the mayhem that is involved with my profession needed an outlet. I thought a blog was a better plan than drawing a person on my wall and talking to it.
2. Think back to when you first started blogging, what if anything has changed the most?
I no longer run that home daycare. Hubster encouraged me to quit and pursue my writing dreams. While the writing dream is still there, I seem to have stumbled onto designing and now run my own store on Zazzle featuring things my brain thought of.
3. Are you a pen and paper or straight to the screen type of writer?
Straight to the screen! I use a pen and paper method for organizing my blog plans though. Sometimes when I have writer’s block I will pull out a notebook and just write whatever pops into my head. Those musings NEVER make it to the computer.
4. Where and when do you do most of your writing?
I have a command center in my home. It used to be a home office and then a very generous relative bought me a second iMac and I had to change the name. Two computers just seemed like they deserved a better title than office. I do most of my writing at night since I am on UK time 4 days a week. I like to hobnob with the Brits on Twitter and they all come alive around 10pm my time.
5. How often do you write and what type of things inspire your blog posts?
I have a minimum goal of two posts per week but I prefer to be around 4 each week. Lola, my English Bulldog, inspires me a lot because she’s a goof. I also frequently do late night runs to Taco Bell and you wouldn’t believe the number of weird things that happen in the dark.
6. Have you ever had a major case of writers block, if so, how did you overcome it?
I’m in one currently and could use any helpful tips people have.
7. Complete one or both of the following sentences. A) Bloggers rock because… B) I am a super blogger because…
Bloggers rock because they are such a supportive community. For every single interest in the world, there is someone blogging about it.
8. Name 3 bloggers who inspire you?
Obviously you do! I absolutely love Lisa Pomerantz – she uses Yiddish phrases and is all about empowering women. I also love Jaqui at One Messy Mama – how she has 5 children and still finds time to blog is beyond me. I have zero children and I can barely get it together! My third would be Tracey at Hooks and Dragons. She is hands down the most supportive person I know. If you write a post, she will give it love. She also makes the cutest crochet creations!
9. What is the best piece of blogging advice that you have been given?
Ditch the statistics. Or rather, use them for specific purposes – figuring out your best days and times to publish, or where to share and link. Never, ever, use the statistics to determine what you write. You will then get stuck chasing the numbers instead of writing what you love. Stick with your own voice and your audience will find you.
10. Share your own top blogging tip, advice or quote.
Just have fun with it. The more fun you have, the more your readers will latch on and come back to you. I cannot tell you the number of blogs I have given up reading because they lost their zest for the blog.
Just for fun, this is me!
INSPIRE ME GUEST SERIES
The Inspire Me guest series is back! It will be featuring some of my favourite bloggers. From the queen bee’s themselves, to the much newer bloggers on the scene. All have that elusive something that you can’t quite put your finger on that makes them stand out from the crowd, as well as being key inspirers.
Linking up to